Predatory Auto Tow Service Companies
Predatory Towing is not a new method auto tow service companies and business people have long participated in this style of fraud, which victimizes unsuspecting automobile drivers. Although the specifics of these illegal practices may change from case to case, auto towing companies are considered predatory when:
- An auto tow service operator will only take cash to release a vehicle
- A vehicle has been towed without authorization from the landlord or manager
- The tow operator has no permit to tow vehicles
Predatory towing service providers may also include a demand to pay a parking ticket that has not been issued by a government entity. No matter the circumstances or methods through which these nefarious auto towing companies engage in their business, Predatory towing is against the law! If you believe that you have been a victim of predatory towing, you should contact police and file a grievance. They can also take the towing company to small claims court. Indianapolis towing rates should never be “sky high”.
Some Indianapolis personal injury law firms have accepted the scourge of predatory auto towing service providers filing class action suits against Indianapolis, Indiana companies guilty of this particular illegal practice. The firm’s injury blog details a class-action lawsuit that the firm filed on the side of a client whose car was towed away while it was legally parked in the bunch of Indianapolis, restaurant without the building owner’s approval.
Predatory Auto Towing Tactics
The exact methods that predatory auto towing companies use to victimize drivers can vary from company to company. Some similarities do exist, however. Including, but not limited to:
- Charging large fees to release the towed vehicle
- Demanding fees be paid in cash
- Tow truck drivers who ‘troll’ parking area trying to find violations or partial violations
- Driving away quickly with the towed auto
- Towing vehicles to a dark street or location other then where the car was picked up
- Reports of thefts from the towed cars
Not All Auto Tow Service Companies Are Dishonest
Shady auto towing companies give the entire industry a blemish, but there are an abundance of towing service providers that are around that perform excellent work and perform a much-needed service. A quick search in Bing or Yahoo reveals auto towing companies that have excellent performance history. You can investigate these companies further by visiting their web pages and reading online reviews for their services on sites like Google maps, Yahoo local, and Yelp.
When you end up in situations where contacting a towing place is necessary, by doing a tiny bit of research and choosing a towing place that posts client testimonials or have reviews on online sites including Yelp, Yahoo local and Google local, you can remove a lots of the guesswork from choosing a towing place. If you’re lucky you’ll find cheap towing in your area.
By insuring that the company you are dealing with is reputable and has a good history of success, you can be sure that your towing experience will be a positive one.
Some auto towing service companies victimize people throughout Central Indiana everyday. Not all companies use these shady tactics, however. If you end up needing an Indiana towing place, a few simple steps can help insure that you are working with a reputable Indianapolis auto tow service company:
- Make certain the company has a local address and telephone number
- Check to see the length of time they’ve been around
- Find towing service providers that have reviews on sites like Yahoo local, Google local and Yelp.
- Visit the companies business website and read client testimonials
- Check to see if the company is registered with the BBB or local chamber of commerce
If you need emergency roadside assistance in Indianapolis, Indiana and believe that you are in an unsafe situation, make sure to contact the local authorities or State Police. Carmel, Indiana auto towing companies can only help those passengers that are not in immediate danger. Remember to buckle for safety!